Who You Need to Inform When Moving Abroad from the UK

by | Friday 17th November 2023

Moving abroad is an exciting and life changing adventure, offering new experiences and opportunities. But, you can’t simply choose a destination, pack up your belongings and move. Whether you are moving abroad for work, study, retirement or a change of scenery, there are numerous things to consider to ensure a smooth transition.

One of the most important aspects of an international move is notifying the right people and organisations about your departure from the UK. Below, we have taken a look at the key people that you need to inform before you make your big move.

Who Do I Need to Notify When I Move Abroad?

When you move from the UK to another country, there are certain people that you need to tell. We don’t mean family, friends and your employer, we mean key institutions and services. You can’t simply pack up and leave, not without informing the people below.

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

If you are moving abroad – whether that’s in search of a better life for your family or because you want to retire somewhere sunny – you need to inform HMRC. This is to ensure that you pay the correct amount of tax, depending on where you are going and how you plan to earn money. There are varying tax rules for expats who move abroad, and you need to make sure that you won’t be penalised for tax mistakes.

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Before you move abroad, you need to update the DWP. If you receive any benefits, you should inform the DWP of your move, enabling them to make sure that you receive the correct benefits up until the time of your departure. They will also calculate any pension payments that you are entitled to.

Your Local Council

Don’t forget to notify your local council if you are moving to another country, as doing so affects your council tax, including any entitlement to certain local services. Once you have moved, you are no longer liable to pay council tax in that area, but you do need to ensure that you are up to date with payments thus far.

NHS and Doctor’s Surgery

You need to inform your GP, dentist and any other medical professionals about your move, regardless of where you are moving to. This will enable them to take you off of their register, freeing up space for another patient, and pass any important medical notes to the right people.

family moving overseas

Utilities and Services

Inform your gas, electricity, water, telephone and internet providers that you are moving, so that you can settle any outstanding bills beforehand. They will help you to ensure that your services are disconnected or transferred appropriately, and that you’re not charged for usage that occurs after your move. If you have a TV licence, inform the licensing authority so that you’re not charged or chased for payments incorrectly.

Bank and Financial Institutions

Inform your bank, credit card company and any other financial institutions of your move, and make sure that they have up to date contact information. It’s important to discuss how to manage your accounts while abroad, including savings.

Insurance Providers

Let any insurance providers know that you are relocating. This includes health, life, car and home insurance companies. Some policies might not cover you abroad and others may have specific requirements if you are leaving the country.

Post Office

It’s unlikely that all of your post will stop the moment you move, so pay a visit to the post office. Consider setting up a mail redirection service if you want everything forwarded to your new home abroad.


If you have a driving licence or a vehicle registered in your name, you should inform the DVLA. Depending on where you are moving to, you might need to exchange your UK driving licence for a local one.

Subscription Services

You might be able to use some of your subscriptions internationally, but this isn’t always the case. Cancel any subscription services that you may no longer need including magazines, newspapers and any other regular deliveries or services. This also includes services that you pay for such as gym memberships, travel passes and parking permits.

Educational Institutions

If you or your family members are in school or university, inform the relevant institutions of your move. They will need to know when you will be leaving, and who to pass certifications or exam results to.

Voting Register

When you are living abroad, you might still be eligible to vote in certain elections in the UK. Inform your local electoral office of your move, and find out how you can still vote from abroad.


If you are taking any pets with you, make sure that they meet the import requirements of your new country, which a vet might need to prove. Inform your vet so they can provide necessary records and vaccinations.

As you prepare for your big move, take the time to notify those who need to know. By doing so, you will be better equipped to make the most of your international relocation. Plus, you can relax knowing that everything is taken care of and everyone has been informed, and focus on the more exciting aspects of moving somewhere new.

Your Moving Company

Who Inform Moving Abroad

Last, but by no means least, you need to find an inform your international moving company. Ideally you should do your initial research 6-12 months in advance to short list some companies and get an idea of costs so you can budget.

3-6 months before you move you should get a survey and formal quotes from 3 companies – ideally specialists in international removals like United International Removals. Then you should inform your removals company and book your move day at least 4-6 weeks before you go to ensure you get your preferred date.

Of course, moving abroad from the UK can’t happen without your treasured possessions, which is where international removals comes in. To find out more about our services and how we can assist you with your international move, request a quote online.

Share This